Here are some ways you can help your child at home:
Number knowledge is a key focus:
Some ideas -
- counting forwards
- counting backwards from a given number
- naming numbers
- writing numbers 1-10
- ordering numbers from smallest to biggest
- ordering numbers from biggest to smallest
- asking what number comes before each number
- asking what comes after each number
- forming sets e.g. can you find me 6 blocks?
- simple adding and subtracting - e.g. 2+1=3, 3-2=1
- Read as often as you can with your child.
- Join the library
- Listen to your child their books from school every night
- Ask - What was your favourite part of the story?
- What do you think will happen next?
Remember to praise, praise, praise
- make writing fun, use chalk, water and paint brushes, magnetic letters, felt pens and crayons
- work with your child to sound out the words they would like to write
- in class we say the word, hear the sound and write it down
- when they have spelling words help them practise these daily
Have fun learning at home just like we do at school